Blogger and WordPress - Free Hosted Blogs Can Be Shutdown - So Own Your Own Blog



If you have a blog at a free host, such as Blogger.com or WordPress.com, then it can be shutdown by the free host if you violate its Terms Of Service (TOS). You can prevent this by owning your own blog.


The trouble with a blog hosted on a free service like Blogger.com or WordPress.com is that you must agree to the free host’s TOS. If you violate the TOS, then the free host can pull the plug on your blog by shutting it down. Note: It is important to know that WordPress has a free service (which is WordPress.com), besides the self-hosted version of WordPress that is installed at your web host. See WordPress.org for the self-hosted version of WordPress.


It does not matter how much hard work and effort you put into your free blog, or how much income you might be earning from it, or how popular it is. If you violate the free host’s TOS, then poof! Overnight, your blog may disappear with no warning.


I was recently busy searching for a WordPress theme for a client, when I followed a link to a blog about themes I wanted to check out. I had found the link on the second page results of a Google search, and I thought it might have something of interest for my client. To my surprise, instead of the blog appearing, the WordPress.com TOS Blog Shutdown notice appeared on my computer screen. I have no idea what this free WordPress.com blog did to get shutdown, but I imagine it somehow violated the WordPress.com TOS.


The one thing I know for sure is that WordPress.com pulled the plug on this blog… it’s gone. This would not have happened if the person who had the free hosted WordPress.com blog about WordPress themes instead had owned his or her own blog.


It is my opinion that if you are going to start blogging, and if you plan to put a lot of effort into your blog, then you should own your own blog and not depend on a free blog hosting service. I strongly recommend you own your own blog. Only then are you the captain of your blogging ship, you will have complete control over all things regarding your blog.


How to own your own blog:


  • Self-host. Purchase a web hosting plan from a web hosting service.

  • Register a domain name at a domain registrar.

  • Use the WordPress blogging platform available from WordPress.org.

A blog you own is a self-hosted blog you install at your chosen web hosting service. A self-hosted blog is often referred to as a paid blog. A self-hosted blog will usually, and should have, its own unique domain name (a URL – Uniform Resource Locator) associated with it. The WordPress blogging platform works wonderfully and is very, very popular amongst bloggers.


I happen to have some blogs that I own. I self-host and pay for my web hosting, and I have registered domain names for each of these blogs. In each blog, I use WordPress as my blogging platform. These are all standalone blogs. I own my own blogs and I am the only one who can choose to shut them down, assuming of course that I keep paying my web hosting account fees! By the way, web hosting and domain registration fees are very affordable.


If you are going to have a blog, and if you plan to make it an endeavor where you put valuable time, energy, effort, and thought into it, if you plan or hope to make money from the blog, if you are going to provide a service, or sell goods and merchandise, if you want to establish professionalism and credibility, then for goodness sakes own your own blog. Don’t be at the mercy of a free blog service’s Terms Of Service.


Do yourself a favor, own your own WordPress blog if you are going to be serious about blogging. Have your own registered domain name and use a web host of your choosing. This gives you complete control over your blog. You are the Big Kahuna, the Supreme Dictator, of this type of blog because you own it. You control how your blog looks, what gets posted, what topics you cover, what features the blog has, and… well, everything!


Own your own blog and you are the one who decides its fate and future. It’s really that simple.





Source by Jon R. Allen

If you Like Please Share Without leaving


Blogger and WordPress - Free Hosted Blogs Can Be Shutdown - So Own Your Own Blogilikesay.com

Comments

Popular Posts